John Keatley Metals Ltd was founded in 1896 by John Keatley. John ran the company with his son Ernie, except for a short time during WW1, when his daughters Lily and Winifred helped to provide a wide variety of non-ferrous and other special metals to companies throughout Birmingham and the Black Country.
With Ernie returning from the war, John Keatley continued taking an active part right up to his death in 1949, aged 86. Ernie and Lily then ran the company until 1962, when both in their seventies decided to retire and John Keatley’s grandson Richard Mason took over.
For over 50 years Richard then ran the company, expanding the business and facilitating the move from Snow Hill into the current larger premises on Shadwell Street. Surviving recessions through the 70s, 80s and into the 90s and the Great Recession in 2008, Richard saw both rewarding and challenging times throughout this era. Following his death in 2019, his son William Mason (the present Managing Director) took over. Having celebrated both its centenary in 1996 and its 125th year in 2021, John Keatley Metals continues to satisfy the demands of an ever increasing range of clients.